Hada was Born October 5, 1936, in San Francisco, California. His given name
was Donald Edwin Potts (Don Potts).
He recieved an A.A. in Commercial Art at San Francisco City College, San
Francisco , California, USA, 1959; a B.A. in Painting, San Jose State College, San Jose, California, USA, 1963; did Graduate work at the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA 1964; and recieved an
M.A. in Sculpture at San Jose State Collage, San Jose, California, USA, 1965
Hada is a Sidha (Yogic flyer) of the Vedic tradition, studying with His Holiness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi since 1967.
He has completed a four year pledge as a Wica Wiwang Wacipi (Sundancer) of the Lakota tradition.
He is a Keeper of the C’anupa (carrier of the Sacred Pipe).
He is a Staff Carrier.
He is an Artist of International Stature. His professional achievements (under
the name of Don Potts) include, but are not limited to:
- Twenty-four one-man shows,
eleven of which were in major museums within the United States and Europe, including: The Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; The Whitney Museum of American Art. New York
City; The Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago; The Walker Art Center, Minneapolis.
- Presentations of his work in numerous invitational exhibits in museums and galleries within the United States and Europe, including: Documenta 6, Kasel, Germany; Jenseits der Strassenverkehtsordnung, Stadtische Kunsthalle Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf; Young American Sculpture, New York World’s Fair, New York City; Eccentric Abstraction,
Fishback Gallery, New York City; West Coast Now, Portland Art Museum, Portland— M.H. de Young Museum, San Francisco—Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery, Los Angeles; Painting and Sculpture in California: The
Modern Era, National Collection of Fine Arts, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C; The First Artists’ Soap Box Derby, San Francisco Museum
of Art, McLaren Park, San Francisco.
- Feature articles dedicated to his Art have appeared in Artform, Arts and Architecture, Artweek, Geijutsu Seikatsu (Japan) and other magazines such as Road and Track.
- Previews/reviews in Artform, Art in America, Art International, Newsweek, Time, Kultur und Technik (Germany), and most major newspapers in the U.S.
- Presentations or mentions in dozens of articles on contemporary art.
- Presentations in numerous books on the subject of art, including: Who’s Who in American Art, Jaques Cattell; American Sculpture in Process, Wayne Anderson; Sunshine Muse—Contemporary Art on the West Coast, Peter Plagens; The Arts of the San Francisco Bay Area 1945-1980, Thomas Albright.
- Receipt of numerous grants and awards, including: a one-year National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship; a one-year grant from the Deutscher Academischer
Austauschdienst, West Berliner Künstlerprogram; and a one-year Lewis Comfort Tiffany Foundation Grant.
- Representation in the following Public Collections: Die Berlinische
Galerie, West Berlin; The Pasadena Art Museum, California; The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,
California; The Oakland Art Museum, California; The La Jolla Museum of Art, California; The Joslyn Art Museum, Nebraska; The Sheldon Memorial Gallery, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Fourteen years of full-time teaching at the university level, including
seven as an Assistant Professor at the University of California at Berkeley.
- Operated a Architectural Model Making business creating models for
Skidmore Owings & Merrill’s office in San Francisco and a series of complex models for The American Institute of Architecture’s Centennial:
exhibited at the San Francisco Museum of Art.
In 1990, He (known as Don Potts) successfully reached a
mature stage in the development of a series of prophetic dreams, spanning more than 25 years, speaking to his development personally, and that of an Artist. At the close of this dream, Lord Shiva came forward with
this auspicious mandate and boon: “Your name is now “Hădă.”
Hada is also known as “ Walks the Spiral Path of the Bear,” a name given to him by the Sun.
Hada was also given the name “Ser Ki Korlo” (Wheel of Gold or Golden Wheel) by His Holiness Orgyen, Kusum Lingpa, The most highly regarded Rimpoche, of the Nyinganapa Order, still living in Tibet.
In November of 2003, Hada and Hadani accepted an
invitation to live on Christer and Margareta Cederroth’s estate as resident elders. A position they held for approximately 3 years.
On or about Hada’s 70th birthday, 2006, Hada & Hadani moved to Fairfield
Iowa after accepting a grant from “The Howard & Alice Settle Foundation for an Invincible United States of America.” They will be practicing advanced forms of Yogic Meditation 7 hours a day in the Golden Domes
of MUM as well as continuing to pursue AR<T’s project “Heaven’s Stepping Stones.” The grant is indefinite.